The History of Gmünd

11.-12. Jhd. – Gmünd is founded by the archbishops of Salzburg along the Roman trading route through the Lieser Valley
1252 – First documented mention.
1273 – Gmünd is named as archiepiscopal mart (“forum et civitas”).
1286 – Construction of the Pancratius Church.
1339 – Consecration of the parish church “Mary’s Assumption” .
1346 – Gmünd obtains township status through a charter awarded by Archbishop Ortholf.
1409 – Right of depot. The profits are used for the town’s fortification and the construction of the castle.
1478 – The Turks are incapable of conquering the town, owing to its solid fortification.
1480 – Hungarian troops occupy Gmünd for 7 years.
1487 - Liberation of the town by a body of Carinthian classes and imperial troops. Gmünd is part of Emperor Frederick III’s territories.
1502 – Emperor Maximilian I. sells Gmünd to the Archbishop Leonhard v. Keutschach of Salzburg. The emperor reserves the right of repurchases.
1504 – A conflagration destroys the town.
1525 – Rebellious peasants and pages occupy the town.
1555 – Christoph Pflügl purchases the territory Gmünd.
1594 – Siegmund Khevenhüller becomes new town mayor.
1600 – A sovereign commission under Bishop Martin Brenner of Seckau arrives in Gmünd to reconvert the inhabitants to catholicism.
1601 – Count Hans Rudolf v. Raitenau ransoms the territory Gmünd, which has been in the possession of the protestant family Khevenhüller.
1610 – The castle at the main square and the “Amthof” are built.
1639 – Gmünd belongs to the Counts of Lodron for approximately 300 years. The archbishop Paris Lodron donates the Lodronian “Fideikommiss” which makes Gmünd indivisible and unsalable by law.
1690 – An earthquake destroyed the town and it damaged many houses, churches and the castles of Lodron
1764 – First postal connection across the Katschberg and the Radstätter Tauern.
1773 – Last execution of a person who was called Eva Faschaunerin on the so-called gallows hill (“Galgenbühel”) outside Gmünd.
1782 – After the enactment of the “Toleranzpatent” (religious freedom) three protestant parishes are founded.
1792 – A devastating fire destroys almost the entire town.
1791-1801 – Temporary French occupation.
1809-1813 – Entire French occupation.
1834 – The first Austrian men’s choir is founded.
1886 – The old castle burns down. It remains a ruin.
1902 – At the site of an old sheet-metal company the first electric plant is constructed at the Kreuzbühel.
1903 – Flood disaster
1911 – Construction of the first water pipes to benefit from high mountain springs.
1923 – Beginning of bus traffic; end of coaches.
1932 – The Lodron “Fideikommiss”, telling that the territory is indivisible and unsalable, loses validity. This law affected a big territory of 18 ha.
1939 – Foundation of the “Hauptschule” (Secondary Modern School).
1944-1950 – Prof. Ferdinand Porsche’s car design office operates in Karnerau near Gmünd. During this period, the famous “Porsche 356″ model is developed.
1973 – Restoration of the historic town center with Dr. Moritz’s painting project.
1976 – Opening of the 9,6 km long route of the “Tauernautobahn”.
1977 – Restoration of Old Town Fortress begins.
1980 – Opening of the motorway-route Rennweg-Gmünd. Thus the “Tauernautobahn” is continuously trafficable from Salzburg to Spittal (146,5 km)
1982 – Opening of the “Porsche-Automuseum” (Porsche’s museum for cars).
1987 – The “Alte Burg” (former old ruin) gets accessible to the public again.
ab 1992 – Gmünd unfolds as town of culture and the arts.
1996 – 650th – anniversary of township status awarded to Gmünd.
1999 – Gmünd pronounced “most livable
2000 – municipality in Carinthia.
2000 – Gmünd receives European Award for Town Restoration “for its highquality cultural program”.
2001 – Reconstruction of Gmünd’s Lutheran Trinity Church.
2002 – Completion of restored cobblestone pavement in the historic town center.
2006/07 – Regional exhibition “Adventure journey WaterPower”