Kalvarienberg church with Lodron’scher grave
The newly renovated Kalvarienberg church can be seen from main Gmünd to Malta road. In 1629 the Raitenauer family donated funds to build this Church that commenced in 1700 under the supervision of Master Duregger from Millstatt. The church is simple in structure with two towers on the gable front. The altar dates from the first part of the 17th century while the door to the gallery which depicts the Lodron family symbol (the Lions) was built in the latter half of the century.
Thanks to the “Goldhaubenfrauen” (Traditional ladies group) the church has been restored to its former glory. In the year 1840 Earl Konstantin Lodron arranged for the construction of a stone tomb behind the church which to date is still owned by the Lodron family.
Röm. Kath. Pfarramt Gmünd
Pfarrer Zoltan Papp
9853 Gmünd in Kärnten, Kirchgasse 36
Tel.: +43 4732 2289
Tel.: +43 664 1045788